User Experience Design: Barriers to Innovation
Some notes from the article, “The 3 Biggest Barriers to Innovation and How to Smash Them,” by Luke Williams:
There’s an opportunity to provide [who?] with [what advantage?] that [fills what gap?]
- How can we safely optimize the way people make phone calls in their car?
- Then select the 3 most disruptive ideas
- What are all possible benefits?
- Stuck, nothing’s changed
- Average, should be more successful
- Slow growth, everything seems the same
“How can we disrupt the competitive landscape in [insert your situation] by delivering an unexpected solution?”
- Product cliches: advertised attributes, typical customers?
- Interaction cliches: how is it bought and used?
- Pricing cliches: how, where are they priced and packaged?
- Scarce / abundance reversal
- What consumers’ values are and whether/how they may have changed (here and now, quick and dirty vs. slow and polished etc.)
- Try to bundle wants and shoulds together